Friday, August 24, 2012

Visiting my heart

This week students in our town returned to school, so it's perhaps appropriate that I return to my blog with a "what I did on my summer vacation" essay. This summer was the busiest of my life with content for several posts, which I plan to write about chronologically.

Summer 2012 started with a visit in June to my three daughters who live in the American Pacific Northwest - in other words, a visit to my heart. My daughters were great about making time for me, as were a number of friends who made time to hang out, catch up, and hike together (I was in training mode for a walking event later in the summer, more about that later). 

The visit was sparked by the graduation of the youngest from high school and (concurrently) community college. She's a middle child, following two high-achieving older sisters, which is a lot of pressure. But she has figured out a way to make her own path, while continuing to fulfill family expectations. We are proud of her for (1) completing high school mostly on her own; (2) finishing an Associate (two year) college degree at the same time; and (3) finishing high school as a valedictorian. 

With surrogate mom of the year

Equally important, I hadn't seen any of them since Christmas, and six months was starting to feel like a long time. We celebrated being together by hiking in the Chuckanut Mountains, walking Alki Beach, and sampling beer in Vancouver, BC (as well as hereherehere and here). 

Enjoying a brew or two

Although we still call them "the girls", our daughters are now young adults with their own priorities, relationships and busy lives. The trip was a good opportunity to practice our new relationship roles; they as independent young women and I as ... I'm not sure what, but it involves a lot of listening and a certain amount of tongue-biting. Still and all, it feels great to see them opening up their wings and soaring into adulthood. Ahhhhhh ....

photo by Oast House Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment